But this fandom....there are a few gems in it, a few great people. I met the most important people in my life through The Chipmunks fandom, but the majority of people in this fandom are..well...
for lack of a better word
There is a lot of things I hate about this fandom, so I'm just going to make a list. These aren't really in any particular order.
- Recolors. You can't escape them on dA or FFN, they're everywhere. CGI recolors, the occasional cartoon recolor. They make me absolutely sick. The only place I can escape them is The Chipmunks Forum, because we've banned them there.
- Repitches. Why the HELL would anyone try to make repitches when there are so many official songs out there? There are SO FREAKING MANY. Why would you even consider this?? And when people make them, they don't sound anything like The Chipmunks or Chipettes...if you think they do, you're delusional. Thankfully we've also banned these on the forum(thanks to me! )
- OC's. "Original" characters. They're actually called fan characters, but the morons of this fandom don't understand that, so they call them original characters. There are three Chipmunks, three Chipettes. There is Vinny, and there is Harry. Those are the only chipmunks that should exist within this fandom. Sure, there's the 'relatives' in A Chipmunk Celebration and The Mystery of The Easter Chipmunk, but I don't really consider those canon. You could also bring up Charlene, although she was a prototype that only appeared once for one song I suppose she counts. I'd rather see her than some fan character. In my opinion, if you have 'OC's' that are unnecessary(for example, if you write a fanfic where someone gets kidnapped, you need a kidnapper. That's fine.) you're a lot less of a fan. You should only care about the ACTUAL Chipmunks, not some messed up OC band. Self-insert OC's are even worse. EDIT: and just to clarify, if you need OC's for things like I mentioned in my example they should always be HUMAN. Like all the other characters in the show.
- Mixed couples. 'Nuff said. (I do like Alvon...I hate the others...)
- Idiots. As I said, this fandom is full of idiots. Maybe it's the fact that a lot of the part of the fandom one encounters on deviantART is in the younger age group. But I wasn't as stupid as them when I was twelve.
- Misspellings. You'd think that, if someone cared enough about something to pursue things about it online, they'd learn to spell the characters' names. But nope. There are a TON of people that just continuously spell The Chipmunks and Chipettes' names wrong. I just..FAIOJFAEIOJF
- Making the Chipmunks human sized. The majority of the fandom does not seem to get this...THEY WILL NEVER GET TALLER THAN FOUR FEET TALL. This is proven when they are shown as adults in Big Dreams, and also by Harry and Vinny's sizes. Harry and Vinny are only slightly taller than the boys. And don't pull the whole "But Alvin was human sized in Bigger" card on me. That was for plot purposes. If they made him his actual adult size, he'd barely be any taller than he was, and they wouldn't have an episode. Plus, it's a Go to the Movies episode.
- Giving Alvin and Brittany children other than the twins. Al Jr. and Alvin Jr. are precious, and they are Alvin and Brittany's children. Replacing them is wrong. You can make them have children younger than them I suppose, but flat out getting rid of them or making them have children older than them is disrespectful...and why would you want to anyway? You should be grateful they got canon children. The other pairings weren't as lucky.
- Messing with the age order. I have a whole journal about this, so I'll be brief. Alvin is five minutes older than Simon. Brittany is older than Jeanette. That is all.
- CGI. CGI isn't so much the fandom's doing, but I have noticed a lot of CGI fans are more idiotic than pure cartoon fans. I hate CGI with a burning passion and I dislike most fans who only like CGI.
- People not giving the cartoon a chance. As I mentioned CGI only fans above, I've noticed that many of them won't even watch the cartoon. How the heck can you know you don't like it if you don't watch it? It's better than what you like. I may hate CGI but I have seen the CGI movies and I have given them a chance. They don't do it for me.